How to Take an Active Role in Your Pre-Med School Experience
Each year, thousands of students enter their first year of college determined to become successful doctors. They’re dubbed pre-med students (not as a major but as a direction for their studies). While many colleges don’t offer pre-med degrees, you could be deemed a pre-med student if your program is heavy with biology and chemistry courses.
Many students declare for med school each year because they are passionate about medicine and making a difference in people’s health. And it’s a bit easier if you have the learning chops and stamina.
A pre-med degree program is difficult enough just by having so much to study usually within short spaces of time. Knowing how to take an active role in your pre-med experience can help you to learn more and immensely prepare you for taking the MCAT and applying to medical school after you graduate.
Here are some ways you can take an active role in your pre-med school experience.
1. Take inventory of your classes
As a pre-med student, you will be expected to complete a certain number of courses in math, biology, chemistry, health sciences, and English, among others. The coursework can be tedious and time-consuming, but with good time management, you can do it.
Don’t allow the coursework to go in one ear and out the other. In other words, don’t go through your classes passively. Think about the material even after class is over. Find something that interests you if you can and make sure you know what you’re getting into.
It would be a waste of time to go through nearly 10 years of schooling only to find out you’re not that passionate or interested in medicine to begin with. Outline your classes and make sure you know what you’re getting into.
2. Get involved in pre-med or non-pre-med student organizations and extracurricular activities
While it is true that pre-med school is very demanding, it does not have to take away from your social life or from being involved in useful out-of-the-classroom experiences. Such involvement will help to improve your communication and leadership skills. You will be able to learn from professionals in the field and seek support from students who are traveling the same path.
In addition to that, there is the very high possibility of networking and developing lifelong friendships. Not to mention that you may also meet your future spouse at one of these organizations. Beyond that, medical schools do look at your extracurricular activities and use it as a factor in determining admittance. So these opportunities are not to be underestimated.
3. Volunteer at a hospital or medical facility at which you would one day like to work
Medical schools want to see that you have the aptitude for the field through your GPA and courses. They also want to see that you’re an empathic person who is willing to listen to people’s needs and take care of them in the best possible way. One way to show this is to volunteer in the medical field before committing to medical school.
Volunteering at a hospital or in a surgeon’s office is a great experience, and at some schools, it is required. However, don’t pick a place just because you think it will look good on your resume. Pick a place where you will feel fulfilled and be able to make a difference.
All experience is good but an experience just for the sake of an experience is less useful. You’ll get more out of it if you enjoy it and are passionate about it. This will also shine through in your medical school applications and accompanying essays.
4. Shadow physicians in a variety of specialties
Similar to doing volunteer work is an experience called shadowing. Some pre-med students will shadow physicians to get as close to a hands-on experience as they can in different medical careers. Shadowing is basically following and observing someone closely.
Due to rules regarding privacy and confidentiality, some doctors will not allow shadowing. However, many will especially if you’re planning on going into the same field (e.g., a student planning to be a neurologist shadowing a neurologist).
A good place to begin is with your family or personal doctor. Some colleges have matching programs in which the college has connections with local doctors and hospitals and will help match student to doctor. If nothing else, take it upon yourself to email, call, or visit hospitals and doctors whom you have researched and ask about shadowing policies.
5. Start working on MCAT prep now
The MCAT is a cumulative test that covers much of the topics you studied in pre-med school including biology, chemistry, physics, and so forth. By the time most students begin even thinking about the MCAT in earnest, they’ve forgotten or vaguely remember introductory concepts from their freshman and sophomore classes.
So, to steer clear of that, start as soon as you can to study the MCAT. Get a MCAT prep book, flashcards, or even a tutor that you meet with for an hour a week. This will keep you in the mindset of taking the MCAT even if it is two years away.
College is an incredible time to learn and take advantage of so many opportunities. As you engage with other students and teachers, remember to prioritize your studies. Turn everything into a learning experience and grow, grow, grow.
Learn more about Kaplan’s test prep options and start building the confidence you need for Test Day.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Business Articles
FSU TEST PREP LISTINGSSee all FSU Test Prep Listings
FSU Test Prep Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Central FloridaFlorida Atlantic UniversityFlorida International UniversityFlorida State UniversityUniversity of FloridaUniversity of South FloridaUniversity of North FloridaSaint Leo UniversityValencia Community CollegeBarry UniversityFlorida Community CollegeEdison State CollegeMiami Dade CollegeUniversity of West FloridaEmbry-Riddle Aeronautical UniversityClearwater Christian CollegeFlorida Institute of TechnologyAi Miami International University of Art and DesignAmerican Intercontinental UniversityBethune-Cookman UniversityCarlos Albizu UniversityChipola CollegeDaytona State CollegeEckerd CollegeFlagler CollegeFlorida Agricultural and Mechanical UniversityFlorida Coastal School of LawFlorida Gulf Coast UniversityFlorida Hospital College of Health SciencesFlorida Memorial UniversityEverest UniversityFlorida Southern CollegeFull Sail UniversityInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyJacksonville UniversityKeiser UniversityLincoln College of TechnologyLynn UniversityNova Southeastern UniversityNorthwest Florida State CollegePalm Beach Atlantic UniversityRingling College of Art and DesignRollins CollegeSt. Thomas UniversitySoutheastern UniversitySouthwest Florida CollegeSt. Petersburg CollegeStetson UniversityThe Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale IncThe University of TampaWarner UniversityDaytona State CollegeHillsborough Community CollegeBroward CollegeSanta Fe CollegeTallahassee Community CollegeSt. Johns River Community CollegeBrevard Community CollegeManatee Community CollegeSeminole State College of FloridaKaplan UniversityIndian River State CollegePalm Beach State CollegeEastern Florida State CollegeFlorida Gateway CollegeGulf Coast Community College Lake-Sumter State CollegeNorth Florida Community CollegePasco-Hernando State CollegePensacola State CollegeSouth Florida State CollegeSt Johns River State CollegeValencia CollegeAcademy for Five Element AcupunctureAcademy for Nursing and Health OccupationsAcademy of Career TrainingAcademy of CosmetologyAcademy of Healing Arts Massage & Facial Skin CareAdvance Science InstituteAdvanced Technical CentersAM College LLCAmerican Advanced Technicians InstituteAmerican Health InstituteAmerican Institute of BeautyAmerican Medical AcademyAnton Aesthetics AcademyAparicio-Levy Technical CenterArgosy University-SarasotaArgosy University-TampaArtistic Nails and Beauty Academy-LakelandArtistic Nails and Beauty Academy-TampaATA Career EducationAtlantic Institute of Oriental MedicineAve Maria School of LawAviation Institute of Maintenance-OrlandoAviator College of Aeronautical Science and TechnologyBarry University Law SchoolBeacon CollegeBeauty Anatomy Institute of Cosmetology and WellnessBeauty and Health InstituteBeauty Schools of AmericaBeauty Schools of America-HialeahBeauty Schools of America-HomesteadBeauty Schools of America-MiamiBeauty Schools of America-North Miami BeachBenes International School of BeautyBoca Beauty AcademyBradford-Union Technical CenterBrewster Technical CenterBurnett International CollegeCambridge Institute of Allied Health & TechnologyCambridge Institute of Health & TechnologyCape Coral Institute of TechnologyCDA Technical InstituteCelebrity School of BeautyCentral Florida InstituteCentura InstituteCharlotte Technical CenterCHOICE High School and Technical CenterCity College-Altamonte SpringsCity College-GainesvilleCity College-HollywoodCity College-MiamiCollege of Business and Technology-KendallCompu-Med Vocational Careers CorpConcorde Career Institute-JacksonvilleConcorde Career Institute-TampaCortiva Institute-FloridaCosmix School of Makeup ArtistryCozmo Beauty SchoolD A Dorsey Educational CenterDade Medical College-HollywoodDade Medical College-JacksonvilleDade Medical College-MiamiDade Medical College-West Palm BeachDaytona CollegeDigital Media Arts CollegeEast West College of Natural MedicineEdward Waters CollegeEmpire Beauty School-West PalmEternity Cosmetology SchoolEureka Institute of Health and BeautyEverest Institute-KendallEverest Institute-North MiamiEverest University-BrandonEverest University-JacksonvilleEverest University-MelbourneEverest University-Orange ParkEverest University-South OrlandoEverest University-TampaEverglades UniversityEverglades University-SarasotaFashion Focus Hair AcademyFirst Coast Barber AcademyFirst Coast Technical CollegeFlagler Technical InstituteFlorida AcademyFlorida Barber AcademyFlorida CenterFlorida College of Integrative MedicineFlorida College of Natural Health-BradentonFlorida College of Natural Health-MaitlandFlorida Institute of Recording Sound and TechnologyFlorida National University Training CenterFlorida National University-South CampusFlorida Panhandle Technical CollegeFlorida Polytechnic UniversityFlorida School of MassageFlorida Technical CollegeFlorida Vocational InstituteFort Myers Institute of TechnologyFort Pierce Beauty AcademyFortis College-Winter ParkFortis Institute-JacksonvilleFortis Institute-MiamiFortis Institute-MulberryFortis Institute-Port Saint LucieFutura Career InstituteFuture-Tech InstituteGalen College of Nursing-Tampa BayGeorge Stone Technical CenterGeorge T Baker Aviation SchoolGolf Academy of America-Altamonte SpringsGooding Institute of Nurse AnesthesiaHair Design InstituteHeritage Institute-Ft MyersHerzing University-Winter ParkHobe Sound Bible CollegeHollywood Institute of Beauty CareersHollywood Institute of Beauty Careers-CasselberryHollywood Institute of Beauty Careers-West Palm BeachImmokalee Technical CenterInterAmerican Technical InstituteInternational Training CareersITT Technical Institute-BradentonITT Technical Institute-Deerfield BeachITT Technical Institute-HialeahITT Technical Institute-Lake MaryITT Technical Institute-PensacolaITT Technical Institute-TallahasseeITT Technical Institute-TampaITT Technical Institute-West Palm BeachJohnson University FloridaJones College-JacksonvilleJose Maria Vargas UniversityKaizen Beauty AcademyKeiser University- MiamiKeiser University-LakelandKeiser University-OrlandoKeiser University-Pembroke PinesKeiser University-TallahasseeKeiser University-West Palm BeachKnox Theological SeminaryLake Technical CollegeLee Professional InstituteLindsey Hopkins Technical Education CenterLively Technical CenterLoraines Academy IncLorenzo Walker Institute of TechnologyManatee Technical InstituteManhattan Hairstyling AcademyManhattan Hairstyling Academy - NorthMarchman Technical Education CenterMarion County Community Technical and Adult Education CenterMattia CollegeMattia College -MCI Institute of Technology-Boca RatonM-DCPS The English CenterMedTech Institute-Orlando CampusMercy Hospital School of Practical Nursing-Plantation General HospitalNew Concept Massage and Beauty SchoolNew Professions Technical InstituteNorth Florida Cosmetology Institute IncNorthwood University-FloridaNouvelle InstituteOrlando TechParisian Spa InstitutePaul Mitchell the School-Fort MyersPaul Mitchell the School-OrlandoPaul Mitchell the School-TampaPinellas Technical College-ClearwaterPinellas Technical College-St. PetersburgPolytechnic University of Puerto Rico-OrlandoPrestige Health & Beauty Sciences AcademyProfessional Hands InstituteRadford M Locklin Technical CenterRasmussen College-FloridaRasmussen College-Fort MyersRasmussen College-New Port RicheyRasmussen College-Tampa/BrandonRegency Beauty Institute-CarrollwoodRegency Beauty Institute-ClearwaterRemington College-Tampa CampusRidge Career CenterRobert Morgan Educational CenterSAE Institute of Technology-MiamiSaint John Vianney College SeminarySaint Vincent de Paul Regional SeminarySanford-Brown College-TampaSarasota School of Massage TherapySheridan Technical CollegeSouth Florida Bible College and Theological SeminarySouth University-TampaStenotype Institute of Jacksonville Inc-JacksonvilleStrayer University-BrickellStrayer University-Fort Lauderdale CampusSummit Salon AcademySuncoast Technical CollegeSunstate AcademySuwannee-Hamilton Technical CenterTalmudic College of FloridaTaylor CollegeTaylor Technical InstituteThe Baptist College of FloridaThe Salon Professional Academy-MelbourneTotal International Career InstituteTraviss Career CenterTrinity Baptist CollegeTulsa Welding School-JacksonvilleUltimate Medical Academy-ClearwaterUltimate Medical Academy-TampaUnited Education InstituteUniversity of South Florida-Sarasota-ManateeVirginia College-Fort PierceVirginia College-PensacolaWalton Career Development CenterWestside TechWithlacoochee Technical InstituteWolford CollegeWyotech-DaytonaYechanlaz Instituto VocacionalYeshivah Gedolah Rabbinical College
- By State
- By City