How to Organize Your Bills & Stay on Budget in an Apartment
This article is brought to you by CORT Furniture Rental. We take the hassle out of furnishing your new place so you can do more important things like read this article. Learn more about why furniture rental is the best way to get a great looking apartment.
When you’re living in an apartment while at college, you and your roommates are responsible for paying the rent, your bills, buying groceries, etc. Managing your money sensibly and staying on budget is something you’ll need to be able to do in order to not spend more than you can afford, keep track of bills, and not blow all your savings.
Here are some tips on how to organize your bills and stay on a budget in an apartment.
1. Set up a payment schedule. Your rent and utility bills are all likely to be due at the same time each month — which means it’s easy to set up a schedule or note the due dates on a calendar so you and your roomies can keep track of how much is due when and to whom.
It’s a good idea to sit down with your roommates and figure out how you all want to handle payments — does one person want to be in charge of paying the rent, another the electric bill and internet, etc.? Will you switch off who pays what each month so you don’t need to pay each other back such large sums?
Look up when each bill is going to be due and if more than one person is going to handle it, make sure all pertinent information, like the account name and password, is written down somewhere everyone can access it. Then keep a tally of who has paid which bill for that month and how much it cost so it’s easier to reimburse that person for your share.
2. Make a budget. Figure out how much money you have coming in on average each month, how much loans, scholarships, grants, or work study you have been awarded for each semester, the price of tuition and fees, the average costs of your share of the rent and utility bills, as well as how much you spend on groceries, textbooks, and other expenses.
Once you’ve got all those numbers written down and have made a list of your expenditures, you can see if you have more money going out than coming in and where you may be able to cut some costs or increase the amount of money you’re getting each month.
There are usually lots of little ways you can save money or make money each semester, whether it’s buying used books or borrowing them from the library, selling class notes or your textbooks from last semester, getting a part-time job, or even opting for a lower speed of internet that will be cheaper each month.
3. Pay with cash. When you’re going to pay for something with cash, you’re more likely to really consider whether or not you need that item and if it’s worth the cost. As opposed to when you pay with a credit card and can easily swipe your payment and not have to worry about the expense until the end of the month, you’ll immediately be out of the cash and it will prompt you to spend with more discretion.
4. Don’t overspend. It can be tempting to go out to eat all the time, hit the bars on the weekends, buy name-brand items at full price, and see movies in theaters whenever you want. But all those expenses add up quickly and are unnecessary. Eating out and going to bars is much more expensive than cooking for yourself and eating or staying in — so don’t go out all the time and instead only indulge every once in a while or when there’s a good deal or Happy Hour special or something.
Additionally, when grocery shopping, it’s best to hit the supermarket armed with a specific list of what you need and the knowledge of what’s on sale, along with coupons that can save you some money on the items you’re going to buy. You also may want to buy store-brand items when possible versus name-brand as you’ll save a nice amount of money on items that way as well. Lastly, when it comes to entertainment, keep your spending in check — rather than going out to see a new movie in theaters, host a movie night at your apartment or a Netflix binge session with friends and save yourself the cost of a ticket.
5. Save for a rainy day. Just because you may have some extra money left over after a paycheck or spent less than you allotted for your budget doesn’t mean you have to spend it. If you did manage to stay on budget and even under-budget, put aside that extra money for a rainy day — you never know when you may have a larger bill or some other unexpected expense that you couldn’t plan for.
Use these tips to keep your bills and payments organized and to stay on budget in your apartment — your wallet and bank account will thank you!
Looking for an easy way to furnish your off-campus apartment? Renting furniture from CORT saves you time and money. See how easy it is to get great looking furniture without breaking the bank.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
FSU HOUSING LISTINGSSee all FSU Housing Listings
FSU Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Central FloridaFlorida Atlantic UniversityFlorida International UniversityFlorida State UniversityUniversity of FloridaUniversity of South FloridaUniversity of North FloridaSaint Leo UniversityValencia Community CollegeBarry UniversityFlorida Community CollegeEdison State CollegeMiami Dade CollegeUniversity of West FloridaEmbry-Riddle Aeronautical UniversityClearwater Christian CollegeFlorida Institute of TechnologyAi Miami International University of Art and DesignAmerican Intercontinental UniversityBethune-Cookman UniversityCarlos Albizu UniversityChipola CollegeDaytona State CollegeEckerd CollegeFlagler CollegeFlorida Agricultural and Mechanical UniversityFlorida Coastal School of LawFlorida Gulf Coast UniversityFlorida Hospital College of Health SciencesFlorida Memorial UniversityEverest UniversityFlorida Southern CollegeFull Sail UniversityInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyJacksonville UniversityKeiser UniversityLincoln College of TechnologyLynn UniversityNova Southeastern UniversityNorthwest Florida State CollegePalm Beach Atlantic UniversityRingling College of Art and DesignRollins CollegeSt. Thomas UniversitySoutheastern UniversitySouthwest Florida CollegeSt. Petersburg CollegeStetson UniversityThe Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale IncThe University of TampaWarner UniversityDaytona State CollegeHillsborough Community CollegeBroward CollegeSanta Fe CollegeTallahassee Community CollegeSt. Johns River Community CollegeBrevard Community CollegeManatee Community CollegeSeminole State College of FloridaKaplan UniversityIndian River State CollegePalm Beach State CollegeEastern Florida State CollegeFlorida Gateway CollegeGulf Coast Community College Lake-Sumter State CollegeNorth Florida Community CollegePasco-Hernando State CollegePensacola State CollegeSouth Florida State CollegeSt Johns River State CollegeValencia CollegeAcademy for Five Element AcupunctureAcademy for Nursing and Health OccupationsAcademy of Career TrainingAcademy of CosmetologyAcademy of Healing Arts Massage & Facial Skin CareAdvance Science InstituteAdvanced Technical CentersAM College LLCAmerican Advanced Technicians InstituteAmerican Health InstituteAmerican Institute of BeautyAmerican Medical AcademyAnton Aesthetics AcademyAparicio-Levy Technical CenterArgosy University-SarasotaArgosy University-TampaArtistic Nails and Beauty Academy-LakelandArtistic Nails and Beauty Academy-TampaATA Career EducationAtlantic Institute of Oriental MedicineAve Maria School of LawAviation Institute of Maintenance-OrlandoAviator College of Aeronautical Science and TechnologyBarry University Law SchoolBeacon CollegeBeauty Anatomy Institute of Cosmetology and WellnessBeauty and Health InstituteBeauty Schools of AmericaBeauty Schools of America-HialeahBeauty Schools of America-HomesteadBeauty Schools of America-MiamiBeauty Schools of America-North Miami BeachBenes International School of BeautyBoca Beauty AcademyBradford-Union Technical CenterBrewster Technical CenterBurnett International CollegeCambridge Institute of Allied Health & TechnologyCambridge Institute of Health & TechnologyCape Coral Institute of TechnologyCDA Technical InstituteCelebrity School of BeautyCentral Florida InstituteCentura InstituteCharlotte Technical CenterCHOICE High School and Technical CenterCity College-Altamonte SpringsCity College-GainesvilleCity College-HollywoodCity College-MiamiCollege of Business and Technology-KendallCompu-Med Vocational Careers CorpConcorde Career Institute-JacksonvilleConcorde Career Institute-TampaCortiva Institute-FloridaCosmix School of Makeup ArtistryCozmo Beauty SchoolD A Dorsey Educational CenterDade Medical College-HollywoodDade Medical College-JacksonvilleDade Medical College-MiamiDade Medical College-West Palm BeachDaytona CollegeDigital Media Arts CollegeEast West College of Natural MedicineEdward Waters CollegeEmpire Beauty School-West PalmEternity Cosmetology SchoolEureka Institute of Health and BeautyEverest Institute-KendallEverest Institute-North MiamiEverest University-BrandonEverest University-JacksonvilleEverest University-MelbourneEverest University-Orange ParkEverest University-South OrlandoEverest University-TampaEverglades UniversityEverglades University-SarasotaFashion Focus Hair AcademyFirst Coast Barber AcademyFirst Coast Technical CollegeFlagler Technical InstituteFlorida AcademyFlorida Barber AcademyFlorida CenterFlorida College of Integrative MedicineFlorida College of Natural Health-BradentonFlorida College of Natural Health-MaitlandFlorida Institute of Recording Sound and TechnologyFlorida National University Training CenterFlorida National University-South CampusFlorida Panhandle Technical CollegeFlorida Polytechnic UniversityFlorida School of MassageFlorida Technical CollegeFlorida Vocational InstituteFort Myers Institute of TechnologyFort Pierce Beauty AcademyFortis College-Winter ParkFortis Institute-JacksonvilleFortis Institute-MiamiFortis Institute-MulberryFortis Institute-Port Saint LucieFutura Career InstituteFuture-Tech InstituteGalen College of Nursing-Tampa BayGeorge Stone Technical CenterGeorge T Baker Aviation SchoolGolf Academy of America-Altamonte SpringsGooding Institute of Nurse AnesthesiaHair Design InstituteHeritage Institute-Ft MyersHerzing University-Winter ParkHobe Sound Bible CollegeHollywood Institute of Beauty CareersHollywood Institute of Beauty Careers-CasselberryHollywood Institute of Beauty Careers-West Palm BeachImmokalee Technical CenterInterAmerican Technical InstituteInternational Training CareersITT Technical Institute-BradentonITT Technical Institute-Deerfield BeachITT Technical Institute-HialeahITT Technical Institute-Lake MaryITT Technical Institute-PensacolaITT Technical Institute-TallahasseeITT Technical Institute-TampaITT Technical Institute-West Palm BeachJohnson University FloridaJones College-JacksonvilleJose Maria Vargas UniversityKaizen Beauty AcademyKeiser University- MiamiKeiser University-LakelandKeiser University-OrlandoKeiser University-Pembroke PinesKeiser University-TallahasseeKeiser University-West Palm BeachKnox Theological SeminaryLake Technical CollegeLee Professional InstituteLindsey Hopkins Technical Education CenterLively Technical CenterLoraines Academy IncLorenzo Walker Institute of TechnologyManatee Technical InstituteManhattan Hairstyling AcademyManhattan Hairstyling Academy - NorthMarchman Technical Education CenterMarion County Community Technical and Adult Education CenterMattia CollegeMattia College -MCI Institute of Technology-Boca RatonM-DCPS The English CenterMedTech Institute-Orlando CampusMercy Hospital School of Practical Nursing-Plantation General HospitalNew Concept Massage and Beauty SchoolNew Professions Technical InstituteNorth Florida Cosmetology Institute IncNorthwood University-FloridaNouvelle InstituteOrlando TechParisian Spa InstitutePaul Mitchell the School-Fort MyersPaul Mitchell the School-OrlandoPaul Mitchell the School-TampaPinellas Technical College-ClearwaterPinellas Technical College-St. PetersburgPolytechnic University of Puerto Rico-OrlandoPrestige Health & Beauty Sciences AcademyProfessional Hands InstituteRadford M Locklin Technical CenterRasmussen College-FloridaRasmussen College-Fort MyersRasmussen College-New Port RicheyRasmussen College-Tampa/BrandonRegency Beauty Institute-CarrollwoodRegency Beauty Institute-ClearwaterRemington College-Tampa CampusRidge Career CenterRobert Morgan Educational CenterSAE Institute of Technology-MiamiSaint John Vianney College SeminarySaint Vincent de Paul Regional SeminarySanford-Brown College-TampaSarasota School of Massage TherapySheridan Technical CollegeSouth Florida Bible College and Theological SeminarySouth University-TampaStenotype Institute of Jacksonville Inc-JacksonvilleStrayer University-BrickellStrayer University-Fort Lauderdale CampusSummit Salon AcademySuncoast Technical CollegeSunstate AcademySuwannee-Hamilton Technical CenterTalmudic College of FloridaTaylor CollegeTaylor Technical InstituteThe Baptist College of FloridaThe Salon Professional Academy-MelbourneTotal International Career InstituteTraviss Career CenterTrinity Baptist CollegeTulsa Welding School-JacksonvilleUltimate Medical Academy-ClearwaterUltimate Medical Academy-TampaUnited Education InstituteUniversity of South Florida-Sarasota-ManateeVirginia College-Fort PierceVirginia College-PensacolaWalton Career Development CenterWestside TechWithlacoochee Technical InstituteWolford CollegeWyotech-DaytonaYechanlaz Instituto VocacionalYeshivah Gedolah Rabbinical College
- By State
- By City