10 Spring Cleaning Tips To Help You Get The Job Done
Today is the first day of spring! The March equinox was today (Monday, March 20th) at approximately 6:29 AM Eastern Standard Time. You know what this means: spring cleaning. Here are 10 spring cleaning tips to help you get the job done:
1. Brush off your welcome mat.
The first thing a guest sees when they come to visit is your welcome mat (and of course your door). Keep your place tidy on the inside and the outside, whether its to give your guests a good impression or to make your home more welcoming to yourself when you come home everyday.
2. Wipe the floors and deep clean the carpet.
Hardwood floors aren’t terribly difficult to clean, so be sure to give them a good vacuum and mop. However, if you have carpet – that is where the nightmare comes in. If you are looking to do some deep cleaning this spring cleaning season, consider renting a carpet cleaner from Home Depot, Lowe’s, or any other local store. It is a much cheaper alternative to hiring somebody else to clean your own carpet, it’s easy to do, and you can rent it for various increments of time. A disgusting amount of dust collects in most carpet floors and vacuuming does not always do the deed, so do what you need to do to get rid of the dust and stains that have been haunting you all winter.
3. Clean your ceiling fans and light fixtures.
Speaking of dust, you don’t even want to know how much dust collects on the top of your ceiling fan ever month or so. That white ceiling fan that you keep on at night is most likely pitch black on the top. To clean the blades of a ceiling fan, cover them with a coat of furniture polish and wipe off the excess. If your ceiling fan is above your bed (it is for most), consider laying out some kind of sheet to prevent dust from falling onto your bed. Tearing apart a garbage bag so that is lays flat works, that way you can dispose of it after. Light fixtures also collect a good amount of dust – the same can be done with them, just be sure to have the lights turned off and be careful handling anything that runs electrically when spring cleaning.
4. Air out your sheets.
Moving on to sheets – comforters, blankets, and pillows do need to be washed relatively frequently because when you sleep at night, dead skin collects in your bed (similarly to when you use towels, so be sure to wash those often as well). However, if they do not need to be cleaned, consider airing them out: take them outside and hang them on a clothesline.
5. Donate some of your clothing.
Laundry is a given, but have you considered donating some of the clothes that no longer fits you or that you rarely wear? If not, then think again. While you’re doing your laundry this spring, set aside any clothes that you don’t see yourself wearing anymore or that hasn’t left your closet in over a year. If it’s something you would really like to keep wearing, leave it in until next spring and if you don’t wear it until then, consider donating it. Take it to your local Goodwill or any other donation based organization. However, if you are looking to get a buck or two for it, there plenty of options such as Plato’s Closet.
6. Reorganize your living space.
If things are seeming to get old, you don’t need to buy or sell to give your place a new look. Think about rearranging your room – whether it’s reorganizing the books on your desk or moving around some furniture. If you move your bed (which is often the largest piece of furniture in a bedroom), you’d be amazed at how much potential space you could gain and how different your room will look. If you don’t like the change, you can simply move it back to how it was before.
7. Don’t forget about your car.
I imagine many of your living spaces might be spotless already, but how about your car? Don’t neglect the interior of your car, as most college students do. Give it a wash from the outside, vacuum the inside, and throw away all of those old fast food receipts. Whether you have a 1995 Toyota Camry or a 2017 Honda Civic, you can make any car look new if you give it the time and effort.
8. Clean out the fridge.
Different households organize their refrigerators in different ways: either by food group or through assigning a shelf to every roommate. Other households simply do not organize their refrigerators. If the shelves in your fridge are sticky, you most likely don’t know why (or what, for that matter). A good refrigerator cleaner is a combination of salt and soda water. While you’re at it, consider tossing any leftovers from before spring break and expired produce (pro-tip: if you can’t tell what it is, it’s probably expired).
9. Wipe down kitchen appliances.
Doing the dishes is one of the least popular chores for most households. Washing dishes isn’t terrible, but when it comes to fully cleaning detailed kitchen appliances (blenders and so on) – that’s where the laziness kicks in. When you’re cleaning out your fridge, be sure to spend some time cleaning out all of your kitchen appliances, wipe down your counters, and clean out your microwave and oven for goodness sake.
10. Start or continue recycling.
If you already recycling – good for you. When you’re spring cleaning, you end up tossing out many paper, plastic, or cardboard products. While you’re cleaning, make sure you’re continuing to recycle. If you haven’t recycled, start recycling! There’s no excuse. Many college student apartment complexes actually do not offer a place to recycle your things. Buy a large plastic bin or use a cardboard box, store your recycled items in there for the time being, and then drop it off at your friend’s complex or other areas within the city. It takes some extra time but it’s definitely worthwhile.
Hopefully these tips will give you the motivation and inspiration you need on how to go about your spring cleaning this season.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Health Articles
FSU HOUSING LISTINGSSee all FSU Housing Listings
FSU Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Central FloridaFlorida Atlantic UniversityFlorida International UniversityFlorida State UniversityUniversity of FloridaUniversity of South FloridaUniversity of North FloridaSaint Leo UniversityValencia Community CollegeBarry UniversityFlorida Community CollegeEdison State CollegeMiami Dade CollegeUniversity of West FloridaEmbry-Riddle Aeronautical UniversityClearwater Christian CollegeFlorida Institute of TechnologyAi Miami International University of Art and DesignAmerican Intercontinental UniversityBethune-Cookman UniversityCarlos Albizu UniversityChipola CollegeDaytona State CollegeEckerd CollegeFlagler CollegeFlorida Agricultural and Mechanical UniversityFlorida Coastal School of LawFlorida Gulf Coast UniversityFlorida Hospital College of Health SciencesFlorida Memorial UniversityEverest UniversityFlorida Southern CollegeFull Sail UniversityInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyJacksonville UniversityKeiser UniversityLincoln College of TechnologyLynn UniversityNova Southeastern UniversityNorthwest Florida State CollegePalm Beach Atlantic UniversityRingling College of Art and DesignRollins CollegeSt. Thomas UniversitySoutheastern UniversitySouthwest Florida CollegeSt. Petersburg CollegeStetson UniversityThe Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale IncThe University of TampaWarner UniversityDaytona State CollegeHillsborough Community CollegeBroward CollegeSanta Fe CollegeTallahassee Community CollegeSt. Johns River Community CollegeBrevard Community CollegeManatee Community CollegeSeminole State College of FloridaKaplan UniversityIndian River State CollegePalm Beach State CollegeEastern Florida State CollegeFlorida Gateway CollegeGulf Coast Community College Lake-Sumter State CollegeNorth Florida Community CollegePasco-Hernando State CollegePensacola State CollegeSouth Florida State CollegeSt Johns River State CollegeValencia CollegeAcademy for Five Element AcupunctureAcademy for Nursing and Health OccupationsAcademy of Career TrainingAcademy of CosmetologyAcademy of Healing Arts Massage & Facial Skin CareAdvance Science InstituteAdvanced Technical CentersAM College LLCAmerican Advanced Technicians InstituteAmerican Health InstituteAmerican Institute of BeautyAmerican Medical AcademyAnton Aesthetics AcademyAparicio-Levy Technical CenterArgosy University-SarasotaArgosy University-TampaArtistic Nails and Beauty Academy-LakelandArtistic Nails and Beauty Academy-TampaATA Career EducationAtlantic Institute of Oriental MedicineAve Maria School of LawAviation Institute of Maintenance-OrlandoAviator College of Aeronautical Science and TechnologyBarry University Law SchoolBeacon CollegeBeauty Anatomy Institute of Cosmetology and WellnessBeauty and Health InstituteBeauty Schools of AmericaBeauty Schools of America-HialeahBeauty Schools of America-HomesteadBeauty Schools of America-MiamiBeauty Schools of America-North Miami BeachBenes International School of BeautyBoca Beauty AcademyBradford-Union Technical CenterBrewster Technical CenterBurnett International CollegeCambridge Institute of Allied Health & TechnologyCambridge Institute of Health & TechnologyCape Coral Institute of TechnologyCDA Technical InstituteCelebrity School of BeautyCentral Florida InstituteCentura InstituteCharlotte Technical CenterCHOICE High School and Technical CenterCity College-Altamonte SpringsCity College-GainesvilleCity College-HollywoodCity College-MiamiCollege of Business and Technology-KendallCompu-Med Vocational Careers CorpConcorde Career Institute-JacksonvilleConcorde Career Institute-TampaCortiva Institute-FloridaCosmix School of Makeup ArtistryCozmo Beauty SchoolD A Dorsey Educational CenterDade Medical College-HollywoodDade Medical College-JacksonvilleDade Medical College-MiamiDade Medical College-West Palm BeachDaytona CollegeDigital Media Arts CollegeEast West College of Natural MedicineEdward Waters CollegeEmpire Beauty School-West PalmEternity Cosmetology SchoolEureka Institute of Health and BeautyEverest Institute-KendallEverest Institute-North MiamiEverest University-BrandonEverest University-JacksonvilleEverest University-MelbourneEverest University-Orange ParkEverest University-South OrlandoEverest University-TampaEverglades UniversityEverglades University-SarasotaFashion Focus Hair AcademyFirst Coast Barber AcademyFirst Coast Technical CollegeFlagler Technical InstituteFlorida AcademyFlorida Barber AcademyFlorida CenterFlorida College of Integrative MedicineFlorida College of Natural Health-BradentonFlorida College of Natural Health-MaitlandFlorida Institute of Recording Sound and TechnologyFlorida National University Training CenterFlorida National University-South CampusFlorida Panhandle Technical CollegeFlorida Polytechnic UniversityFlorida School of MassageFlorida Technical CollegeFlorida Vocational InstituteFort Myers Institute of TechnologyFort Pierce Beauty AcademyFortis College-Winter ParkFortis Institute-JacksonvilleFortis Institute-MiamiFortis Institute-MulberryFortis Institute-Port Saint LucieFutura Career InstituteFuture-Tech InstituteGalen College of Nursing-Tampa BayGeorge Stone Technical CenterGeorge T Baker Aviation SchoolGolf Academy of America-Altamonte SpringsGooding Institute of Nurse AnesthesiaHair Design InstituteHeritage Institute-Ft MyersHerzing University-Winter ParkHobe Sound Bible CollegeHollywood Institute of Beauty CareersHollywood Institute of Beauty Careers-CasselberryHollywood Institute of Beauty Careers-West Palm BeachImmokalee Technical CenterInterAmerican Technical InstituteInternational Training CareersITT Technical Institute-BradentonITT Technical Institute-Deerfield BeachITT Technical Institute-HialeahITT Technical Institute-Lake MaryITT Technical Institute-PensacolaITT Technical Institute-TallahasseeITT Technical Institute-TampaITT Technical Institute-West Palm BeachJohnson University FloridaJones College-JacksonvilleJose Maria Vargas UniversityKaizen Beauty AcademyKeiser University- MiamiKeiser University-LakelandKeiser University-OrlandoKeiser University-Pembroke PinesKeiser University-TallahasseeKeiser University-West Palm BeachKnox Theological SeminaryLake Technical CollegeLee Professional InstituteLindsey Hopkins Technical Education CenterLively Technical CenterLoraines Academy IncLorenzo Walker Institute of TechnologyManatee Technical InstituteManhattan Hairstyling AcademyManhattan Hairstyling Academy - NorthMarchman Technical Education CenterMarion County Community Technical and Adult Education CenterMattia CollegeMattia College -MCI Institute of Technology-Boca RatonM-DCPS The English CenterMedTech Institute-Orlando CampusMercy Hospital School of Practical Nursing-Plantation General HospitalNew Concept Massage and Beauty SchoolNew Professions Technical InstituteNorth Florida Cosmetology Institute IncNorthwood University-FloridaNouvelle InstituteOrlando TechParisian Spa InstitutePaul Mitchell the School-Fort MyersPaul Mitchell the School-OrlandoPaul Mitchell the School-TampaPinellas Technical College-ClearwaterPinellas Technical College-St. PetersburgPolytechnic University of Puerto Rico-OrlandoPrestige Health & Beauty Sciences AcademyProfessional Hands InstituteRadford M Locklin Technical CenterRasmussen College-FloridaRasmussen College-Fort MyersRasmussen College-New Port RicheyRasmussen College-Tampa/BrandonRegency Beauty Institute-CarrollwoodRegency Beauty Institute-ClearwaterRemington College-Tampa CampusRidge Career CenterRobert Morgan Educational CenterSAE Institute of Technology-MiamiSaint John Vianney College SeminarySaint Vincent de Paul Regional SeminarySanford-Brown College-TampaSarasota School of Massage TherapySheridan Technical CollegeSouth Florida Bible College and Theological SeminarySouth University-TampaStenotype Institute of Jacksonville Inc-JacksonvilleStrayer University-BrickellStrayer University-Fort Lauderdale CampusSummit Salon AcademySuncoast Technical CollegeSunstate AcademySuwannee-Hamilton Technical CenterTalmudic College of FloridaTaylor CollegeTaylor Technical InstituteThe Baptist College of FloridaThe Salon Professional Academy-MelbourneTotal International Career InstituteTraviss Career CenterTrinity Baptist CollegeTulsa Welding School-JacksonvilleUltimate Medical Academy-ClearwaterUltimate Medical Academy-TampaUnited Education InstituteUniversity of South Florida-Sarasota-ManateeVirginia College-Fort PierceVirginia College-PensacolaWalton Career Development CenterWestside TechWithlacoochee Technical InstituteWolford CollegeWyotech-DaytonaYechanlaz Instituto VocacionalYeshivah Gedolah Rabbinical College
- By State
- By City