Xfinity Vs. Centurylink
It’s that time of year when leases run out and apartments are emptied. Many of you have already graduated and are just bidding time until you can move onto the next big thing whether it be grad school or out into the real world to claim a job and carve a place for yourself. Others may simply be emerging from the dorm and stepping into their own homes or apartments. Either way, unless you’re living at home with mom and dad you have a very important decision to make. Comcast aka Xfinity, or Centurylink? These two companies provide the majority of TV and internet services to Tallahassee residents. I just moved into my own house for the first time was forced to make this momentous decision. Here’s a breakdown of their pros and cons.
Comcast has recent rebranded its self as Xfinity in most markets so that’s what I will refer to it as. It is certainly the most popular option from experience here in Tally but let’s break down why. Their best option for college students is there double play plan. This includes internet and television. The cheapest option here is $70 a month. On the internet side of things, Xfinity has always delivered for me. They get a solid 20 mbps which is perfect for everyday use, gaming, and downloading and streaming music and movies. They also offer a few special internets services that can boost you’re speed even higher. That of course, costs a bit more money. The most extreme they have is 105 mbps and that costs $105 per month.
On the television side of Xfinity, we do reach some problems. The $70 bundle comes with 80 channels which is good, but it lacks some essentials. I love me some Game of Thrones and Weeds and neither are offered unless you buy their most expensive package which prices at $120 a month. You can however purchase HBO separately for a smaller cost. Despite that, Xfinity offers OnDemand to most customers, especially if you’re living in an apartment. This is a life saver if you don’t want to dish out for programs like Netflix.
When I talked to Comcast they had great tech support. As soon as I went of their website a live agent chat popped up and I was able to ask questions and get estimates. It was very useful in deciding what I wanted.
Century link has a bad reputation here in Tally and from what I’ve seen, they deserve it. It can’t remember how many people have complained about their TV and internet services through Centurylink. My friend’s apartment complex just switched to them and they lost all their OnDemand features and complain about TV failure and slow internet. But let’s be fair and take a look at them.
The first thing I noticed is that they offer a create your own bundle option. Xfinity lacks this and it shows some flexibility. However, when I tried to access it they made me jump through hoops to see what they were offering while Comcast simply laid it all out there.
Centurylink offers the Prism TV service. Their explanation didn’t make much sense to me but it seemed to be a more advanced cable network that allows you to change channels and interact with your TV better. Their lack of clear definition made me dubious. You can record multiple shows at once and have channel in channel search which is fun, but might not be practical for all students.
Where Centurylink really excels is their pricing. They offer internet as low as $20 a month. Although of course you get what you pay for.
Having used both companies in the various apartments I lived in, I decided to go with Xfinity. They just seem much more polished and put together. I was perfectly willing to pay maybe $10 more for something that seemed more reliable and helpful.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Uloop Technology Articles
Recent FSU News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
RECENT FSU CLASSIFIEDS
TOP FSU NEWS
- "Picnic": An Exclusive Interview with Director Caleb Goodman
- Students Start Your Brains!
- The problem with ideological bias at universities and FSU's...
- ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: An Agent of Change in Gaza Conflict
- Totally Tallahassee Whispers: First Week Confessions
- Trailer for Jon Stewart's Rosewater debuts!
- Gaza Conflict Trends Reflected in Social Media
MOST POPULAR FSU NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeUniversity of Central FloridaFlorida Atlantic UniversityFlorida International UniversityFlorida State UniversityUniversity of FloridaUniversity of MiamiUniversity of South FloridaUniversity of North FloridaSaint Leo UniversityValencia Community CollegeBarry UniversityFlorida Community CollegeEdison State CollegeMiami Dade CollegeUniversity of West FloridaEmbry-Riddle Aeronautical UniversityClearwater Christian CollegeFlorida Institute of TechnologyAi Miami International University of Art and DesignAmerican Intercontinental UniversityBethune-Cookman UniversityCarlos Albizu UniversityChipola CollegeDaytona State CollegeEckerd CollegeFlagler CollegeFlorida Agricultural and Mechanical UniversityFlorida Coastal School of LawFlorida Gulf Coast UniversityFlorida Hospital College of Health SciencesFlorida Memorial UniversityEverest UniversityFlorida Southern CollegeFull Sail UniversityInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyInternational Academy of Design and TechnologyHodges UniversityJacksonville UniversityKeiser UniversityLincoln College of TechnologyLynn UniversityNova Southeastern UniversityNorthwest Florida State CollegePalm Beach Atlantic UniversityRingling College of Art and DesignRollins CollegeSt. Thomas UniversitySoutheastern UniversitySouthwest Florida CollegeSt. Petersburg CollegeStetson UniversityThe Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale IncThe University of TampaWarner UniversityDaytona State CollegeHillsborough Community CollegeBroward CollegeSanta Fe CollegeTallahassee Community CollegeSt. Johns River Community CollegeBrevard Community CollegeManatee Community CollegeSeminole State College of FloridaKaplan UniversityPalm Beach State College
- By State
- By City